U.S. Bank periodically offers big new account bonus promotions and this one is no exception – they just released a sizzling hot one with relatively simple requirements.
U.S. Bank National Association is FDIC insured (FDIC# 6548) with over 2,200 locations in 27 states. Their bank charter class is National Bank. As a bank, they’ve been in business since the 1800s! That’s pretty impressive.
This offer is nationwide with a high cash bonus but it does require a direct deposit.
Not only is the bank account bonus good but they also have a great credit card bonus!
💰 Get up to $2000 from a Citi Priority Account Today!
Citi Priority is offering up to $2000 when you open a Citi Priority Account by 7/23/2023.
Then, within 20 days of opening your account, deposit New-to-Citi® funds and keep it there for 60 days after the 21st day. The bonus is based on the amount you transfer.
This is a great offer so don’t wait!
👉 This Bank of America’s $100 Bonus Offer is very popular too!
Table of Contents
1. U.S. Bank Smartly™ Checking – up to $400
U.S. Bank has a new promotion on their U.S. Bank Smartly™ Checking account – it’s a great offer for new accounts and the requirements are straightforward.
Earn up to $400 when you open a new U.S. Bank Smartly(TM) checking account and complete qualifying activities, subject to certain terms and limitations. Offer valid through 6/20/23. Member FDIC.
Complete these steps within 90 days of opening your new U.S. Bank Smartly (TM) checking account online:
- Enroll in online banking or the U.S. Bank Mobile App
- Complete two or more direct deposits of $5,000 or more
- Complete 10 or more debit card purchases totaling at least $100
Earn an additional $100 when you open a new Standard Savings account, by 6/20/2023, complete deposit(s) of $15,000 or more and maintain a total account balance of $15,000 until 10/13/2023.
Applicant must reside in AZ, AR, CA, CO, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, SD, TN, UT, WA, WI, or WY to be eligible for Checking account.
(Offer expires 6/20/23)
How to get the monthly fee waived
The account has a $6.95 Monthly Maintenance Fee that you can get waived with one of the following:
- Are 24 and under, 65 and over or a member of the military (must self-disclose), OR
- Have combined monthly direct deposits totaling $1,000+, OR
- Keep average account balance of $1,500+, OR
- Hold an eligible U.S. Bank credit card, OR
- Qualify for one of the four U.S. Smart Rewards™ tiers (Primary, Plus, Premium or Pinnacle)
Previous Consumer Checking Promotion Codes
If you’re looking for the U.S. Bank promo codes for previous dates on this offer, we have this list below based on the end date of the promotion:
- For period ending Feb. 21, 2022 – the promotion code was 22WEB01
- For period ending Mar. 28, 2022 – the promotion code was 2022FEB
- For period ending Apr. 25, 2022 – the promotion code was 22WEB04
- For period ending June 13, 2022 – the promotion code was 2022MAY
- For period ending August 8, 2022 – the promotion code was 2022JUL
- For period ending September 2, 2022 – the promotion code was 2022JUL (they only updated the expiration date)
- For period ending November 21, 2022 – the promotion code was 2022OCT
- For period ending December 19, 2022 – the promotion code was 22WEB11
- For period ending February 7, 2023 – the promotion code was 2023JAN
- For period ending April 11, 2023 – the promotion code was 2023MAR
- For period ending May 2, 2023 – the promotion code was 23WEB04
2. U.S. Bank Business Checking – up to $750
If you run a business where you need to accept payments, U.S. Bank has a up to $750 bonus offer when you open a Silver, Gold, or Platinum Business Checking Account with the U.S. Bank promo code Q2AFL23 and:
- Enroll in U.S. Bank business online banking or the U.S. Bank Mobile App within 60 days of account opening.
- To get $500, Make a deposit of at least $5,000 in new money within 30 days of account opening and maintain the balance until the 60th day after account opening.
- To get $750, Make a deposit of at least $15,000 in new money within 30 days of account opening and maintain the balance until the 60th day after account opening.
Once you satisfy those conditions, you get up to $750.
Available in all 50 states.
(Offer expires 6/30/2023)
How Does This Offer Compare?
This is a pretty solid offer if you’re looking for a basic checking account. The direct deposit requirements are a little high at $2,000 in total but the $300 bonus is on par with some of the ones you’ll see on our list of bank bonuses.
If you have your heart set on U.S. Bank, this is a good offer.
Otherwise, if you’re still shopping around, here are some other competitive offers:
⭐Citi Priority Account – up to $2000
Citi Priority is offering up to $2000 bonus when you open an account by 7/23/2023. Then, within 20 days of opening your account, deposit at least $10,000 in New-to-Citi® funds and keep it there for 60 days after the 21st day. The bonus amount is based on how much you can transfer but the lowest tier starts at $10,000.
Discover Online Savings Account – $150 or $200
Discover Bank is offering a $150 or $200 bonus when you open your first Discover Online Savings Account with the promotion code WH223 and deposit at least $15,000 into the account within 30 days. You get $150 if you deposit $15,000 or more and $200 if you deposit $25,000.
Bank of America – $100 Bonus Offer
Bank of America offers a $100 Bonus Offer cash bonus if you open a new account and set up and receive qualifying direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more into that account within 90 days of account opening. It has a monthly fee that is easy to have waived.
Chase Total Checking® – $200
Chase Bank will give you $200 when you open a Total Checking account and set up direct deposit within 90 days. There is a $12 monthly fee that is waivable with a monthly direct deposit of just $500, so no gotchas on this deal!
The U.S. Bank promotion is comparable but it’s not the absolute best out there. I think that you may find a better offer if you dig a little bit more.
Finally, before you go, make sure you review our guide on bank account bonuses so you know what to watch out for whenever you try to take advantage of one of these offers.
About the comments on this site:
These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
mat kim says
I used the link on this page to apply for the easy checking. I used an ACH deposit from my personal account. US Bank said they will not acknowledge any ACH that is not from a government agency or employer. I understand direct deposit can mean a lot things including various ACH deposits [depending on the bank]. Honestly, I would continue to use their services if they gave me a reason. Unfortunately they are doing the opposite and I will stay clear of them especially since they are the most ethical bank, right?
Jim Wang says
These types of promotions generally require a direct deposit from an employer or government entity (benefits) – it’s almost universal in that way because it’s seen as a way to make the account “stickier.”
DK Jackson says
If your direct deposit is Social Security, you cannot meet the 60-day criteria. It takes two payment cycles for Social Security to process a change in direct deposit. US Bank will not take this information into consideration and will not provide the incentive.
Jim Wang says
Thank you DK! This is important to know – I appreciate you warning us.
Jean Johnson says
Are there any kind of bank bonus’s out there that don’t require direct deposit?
Jim Wang says
There are very few and many of them replace the DD with a massive dollar amount as a deposit requirement. For example, Citibank has an offer that will give you $700 but requires you to bring $50,000 in cash to your account.
H. Stone says
The US Bank announcement is misleading: Doesn’t mention that you must complete recurring direct deposits that total $4,000 or more and be enrolled in e-statements within 60 days of account opening.
Jim Wang says
Yes you are correct, I’ve updated the post to reflect the clearer language. The $4,000 figure is in their terms and conditions and not higher up on the page, which can be misleading. Thank you!
Monique Bourgeois says
There are other sites that share similar information but Wallethacks is the best – most organized, most reliably up-to-date, highest number of offers and links that really work (highest success rate), and most helpful explanations and insights. You can learn a lot and earn a lot – even if you don’t have much to start with.