How Much Does a U.S. Passport Cost?

If you want to travel outside the United States, you’re going to need a U.S. Passport from the U.S. Department of State.

According to the State Department, nearly 22 million passports were issued in 2022. This is up significantly compared to 2020 and 2021, when we were in the depths of the pandemic. Overall, there are 151 million passport holders out there. Some are traveling the world. Others are collecting dust.

But if you want to join of the international traveling citizens, it’ll cost you.

I recently had to renew my passport a few years ago before a trip and was surprised at the cost, after having not done it for so long! If you’re planning on traveling within six months of your passport’s expiration date, you’ll have to get it replaced first. Countries don’t want to let you in, have you overstay your trip, and then manage to get stranded without a passport!

Fortunately, the process is not hard but does cost a bit of cash.

Table of Contents
  1. U.S. Passport Types
  2. U.S. Passport Fees
  3. What is the Fastest Way to Get a Passport?
  4. How to Save Money on a Passport

🔃 Updated February 2023 with the latest prices for all passport types and fees.

U.S. Passport Types

First, let’s cover the two different types of passports – a Passport Book and a Passport Card.

A Passport Card looks like a driver’s license and is a wallet-sized card that allows re-entry into the United States at land border-crossings and ports-of-entry by sea via Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

A Passport Book is what most people think of when you say a passport. It’s a small booklet with a semi-rigid dark blue cover and it allows for re-entry anywhere.

Should you get a U.S. Passport Card or Book? The card is much cheaper, the full fees are below, but both documents are good for 10 years (once you’re over 16 years old) and if you can spare the expense, it’s often better to get the book. If, however, you know you’re not going to do a lot of travel and you only need it for a trip into Canada, for example, then the card is better because it is still cheaper.

You can get both but I don’t see the benefit of paying extra for the card. The book gets you everything you need and you might as well save your money for actual travel.

U.S. Passport Fees

When it comes to the cost of a passport, there are several parts to the fee for first-time applicants and renewals:

  • Application Fee: This is the fee for the application itself and paid to the U.S. Department of State.
  • Execution (Acceptance) Fee ($35): The facility that accepts your application, such as the post office or library, will collect $35. When you are applying for the first time, you must go through an acceptance facility. You don’t have to do this for renewals.
  • File Search Fee ($150): When applying for your passport, you have to provide proof of citizenship. If you don’t have these documents, you’ll have to pay for and request a File Search to confirm citizenship.

There are also ways to get the passport faster and those come with fees too (optional):

  • Expedite Fee ($60): If you are not in a hurry, routine service will get you a passport in 4-6 weeks. If you pay to have the process expedited, it’ll be done in 3-4 weeks.
  • 1-2 Day Delivery Service ($19.53): For books only, you can get the book shipped faster.
Passport TypeApplication FeeExecution Fee
Adult Applicants 
First-Time Adult Passport Book$130$35
First-Time Adult Passport Card$30$35
First-Time Adult Passport Book + Card$160$35
Adult Passport Card
(when you already have a book)
Adult Renewals 
Adult Passport Book (renewal)$130$0
Adult Passport Card (renewal)$30$0
Adult Passport Book + Card (renewal)$160$0
Minors (Under 16) 
Minor Passport Book$100$35
Minor Passport Book$15$35
Minor Passport Book$155$35

Unfortunately, unlike Global Entry or TSA PreCheck, there is no way to get a credit card to cover your passport fees.

What is the Fastest Way to Get a Passport?

If you don’t need it in at least 4-6 weeks, you can submit it through an acceptance facility or mail it in using routine service.

If you need it in fewer than 4-6 weeks, you can pay for expedited service and go through a facility or mail.

If, however, you need it within 2-3 weeks then you’ll have to go to a passport agency or center.

If it is a life or death emergency, you can get a passport within 72 hours if bring the application and its supporting documents, proof of the life or death emergency, proof of travel itinerary, and schedule an appointment with an emergency passport service at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate.

How to Save Money on a Passport

There aren’t too many levers to push when it comes to the cost of a passport. You can save money by taking your own passport photo, rather than paying for one. You can also save a little bit if you plan ahead of time (after 6 weeks) and avoid the Expedited Fee.

But unfortunately, you can’t escape the Application Fee or the Processing Fee. Those are a required part of the passport process.

If money is tight, you can always get a Passport Card. It’s far more restrictive in where you can use it but if you know you’ll only be traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean then you can save the difference in fees.

Other Posts You May Enjoy:

Golden Visas: Countries that Offer Citizenship for Investment

You may be familiar with the difficulties foreigners can have in obtaining U.S. visas. But did you know that foreigners can “buy” visa status in the United States and dozens of other countries?The following list includes 17 countries offering these "golden visas", the general requirements to obtain one, and what the visa will give you.

How to Rent a Car Without a Credit Card

Have you ever wondered how to rent a car without a credit card? Or if it’s even possible? The good news is that you don't need a credit card to rent a car. Of course, not every car rental company will accommodate your request, but as you will see in this article, there are many that will.

About Jim Wang

Jim Wang is a forty-something father of four who is a frequent contributor to Forbes and Vanguard's Blog. He has also been fortunate to have appeared in the New York Times, Baltimore Sun, Entrepreneur, and Marketplace Money.

Jim has a B.S. in Computer Science and Economics from Carnegie Mellon University, an M.S. in Information Technology - Software Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, as well as a Masters in Business Administration from Johns Hopkins University. His approach to personal finance is that of an engineer, breaking down complex subjects into bite-sized easily understood concepts that you can use in your daily life.

One of his favorite tools (here's my treasure chest of tools,, everything I use) is Personal Capital, which enables him to manage his finances in just 15-minutes each month. They also offer financial planning, such as a Retirement Planning Tool that can tell you if you're on track to retire when you want. It's free.

He is also diversifying his investment portfolio by adding a little bit of real estate. But not rental homes, because he doesn't want a second job, it's diversified small investments in a few commercial properties and farms in Illinois, Louisiana, and California through AcreTrader.

Recently, he's invested in a few pieces of art on Masterworks too.

>> Read more articles by Jim

Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of any bank or financial institution. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Comment:


About the comments on this site:

These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

  1. Deb says

    I wondered, If you present your old passport book as further identification when getting your new one, do they confiscate it?

  2. Rico Barner says

    I have an old passport some where but i haven’t used it in over 20 years. Would I still have to pay the extra $35 because technically it is a renewal. And would I need to find my old passport to confirm that I’ve had one in the past.

    • Jim Wang says

      Unfortunately the passport needs to be issued within the last 15 years for it to count as a renewal, otherwise, you will have to get it “new.”

As Seen In: