I remember my first car.
It was a used silver Acura Integra that I bought off Ebay and had shipped from Florida. I loved that car.
It got great gas mileage, it was fully paid off, and I'd driven it so many miles back and forth between Baltimore and Pittsburgh to visit my girlfriend, now wife.
One day, as I'm making a left turn (with a green arrow!), a red Dodge Durango completely blows through a red light and crushed the front passenger side of my car.
It was the first time I'd been in a serious car accident. The air bags went in an instant, that powdery smoke was everywhere, the bag burned as my face bounced (thankfully) harmlessly of it rather than the steering wheel, and I sat there in shock for a minute or two because I had no idea what happened.
Within a few minutes, the police showed up, took all of our statements, including that of a Good Samaritan witness who supported my account (we had a green left turn light!); and my poor little Integra was towed away.
My only solace was knowing that my little warrior of a car, which could be limped onto the tow truck but not much farther, incapacitated the larger Durango, its coolant tank shattered and bleeding onto the pavement. I didn't know it at the time but my poor car was totaled. (there's nothing sadder than visiting your car for the last time at the towing facility to retrieve anything you want… I still have the car mats!)
I was fortunate that the only damage was to the car. I was fine.
I was also fortunate that I had an emergency fund. I spent the next few weeks dealing with the insurance company and searching for a new car. I'd ultimately be fully reimbursed for everything but the emergency fund made it possible for me to make an intelligent decision and not just a fast one.
Sadly, 52% of Americans can not weather a $400 unexpected expense without selling something they own or turning to credit cards. (1)
That's why I decided to launch the Four Days to $400 Challenge and I'd like you to join me.
Hi, I'm Jim Wang.
Give me four days and I'll show you how to make $400 in your spare time.
Join this free program and you'll get:
- Four emails over four days outlining the best side hustles to earn extra money
- Three daily side hustles tailored to your time limits
- Strategies and tactics to maximize your earning potential on each hustle
- Opportunities to do more if your schedule allows
This course is completely free.
(1) Federal Reserve Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2013 – Dated July 2014 – “Only 48 percent of respondents said that they would completely cover a hypothetical emergency expense costing $400 without selling something or borrowing money” and “39 percent of respondents reported having a rainy day fund adequate to cover three months of expenses” – see page 11