If you’ve been investing for a while, you already know the importance of good stock research. And if you’re a new or intermediate investor, it’s one of the best tools you can have. A good stock research website or service can provide you with valuable insight on the companies you may want to invest in, as well as provide lists of potential companies to invest in.
While there are free newsletters, the best ones are paid services and range between $99 and $2,995 per year. Well worth it if it helps you get better returns on your investments.
To help you decide on the best stock research website for you, we’ve compiled this list of what we believe to be seven of the very best.
Table of Contents
What to Look for in Stock Research Websites
Since stock research will be critical to your success as an investor, you’ll need to evaluate services objectively. We use the following criteria in analyzing the services we’ve included on our list:
Cost: We’re starting here because prices for stock research services can range from a few dollars per month to several hundred dollars. You want to make sure the amount you’re paying for the service is in line with the size of your portfolio.
Stock recommendations: One of the most difficult decisions for any investor, especially new investors, is choosing which companies or funds to invest in. A good stock research service should help you in that category.
Market insight: Investing is about more than just the companies or funds you may be investing in. Since each company or fund is influenced by the general market or its particular industry sector, you’ll need a solid and regular perspective on what’s happening in that market.
Investment tools: Tools like screeners and watch lists are invaluable, no matter your investment experience level. They’ll help you stay on top of your current investments, as well as begin homing in on new ones as they arise.
Regular updates: When you use any investment resource, one of the most important features you’re paying for is information. News and information change quickly in the investment realm, and you’ll need to know what’s going on with your investments as it happens.
Multiple plans: Some research services offer free plans, perfect for new and small investors. But as you become more advanced in your investing activities, you’ll likely want to trade up to a more comprehensive plan. The service that offers several plan levels will give you that opportunity. This is important because once you become comfortable with a service, even a free one, you will likely want to continue with the same organization to maintain continuity.
We believe the seven services listed below incorporate all the best features of the above criteria.
Best Stock Research Websites
Morningstar is one of the best-regarded financial news and information sources in the financial industry. They have been around since 1984 and even engage in asset management. They provide investment ratings and valuations and offer some of the most advanced investment screeners in the industry.
Morningstar uses a rating system to analyze both stocks and funds. Their ratings are based on stars, with one star being the lowest and five stars being the most highly recommended investments.
The free version will give you access to analyst reports, top investment picks, and limited access to their Portfolio Manager and Portfolio X-Ray tools, as well as many screeners.
But the top-of-the-line plan is Morningstar Premium. It comes with all the features and tools of the free version and adds all Morningstar screeners and access to the company’s article archive. You can also use the Portfolio Manager to track your individual investments, create watch lists, and evaluate your strategy.
Morningstar Premium has three payment plans. You get a discount on each if you use the Wallethacks Morningstar Premium Discount Promotion Code. If you do, subscription fees will be as follows:
- One year, $169, or $14.08 per month
- Two years, $279, or $11.63 per month
- Three years, $349, or $9.69 per month
The subscription comes with a 14-day free trial to allow you to test drive the product to see if it will be the right choice for you.
The Motley Fool Stock Advisor
The Motley Fool Stock Advisor is a stock research service, but it’s also one of the industry’s most popular stock picking services. Founded by two brothers in 1993, it’s a newsletter service with more than 700,000 subscribers. They make direct stock recommendations and are documented to have a highly successful track record of doing so. If you subscribe to their service, you’ll receive new stock recommendations each month.
As a subscriber, you’ll be able to take advantage of the Best Buys Now feature, with weekly updates of what they believe to be the 10 best recommendations to buy now. For new investors, they offer their Starter Stocks list, including 10 stocks they recommend for beginners.
The Motley Fool Stock Advisor comes with a stock screener, performance tracking, video interviews with the Motley Fool team, and exclusive special reports on up-and-coming investments. You’ll have access to The Motley Fool community, including discussion boards and swapping investment strategies.
You can sign up for The Motley Fool Stock Advisor for $99 for the first year, which is half of the regular subscription price. It also includes a 30-day free trial so that you can test drive the service.
After the first year, you can renew your subscription at the regular rate of $199 per year.
Zacks Investment Research
Zacks Investment Research is offered by one of the most respected financial news sources on Wall Street. The service has more than 800,000 subscribers.
Zacks uses a rating system to evaluate its recommendations, making the service incredibly user-friendly. There are five in all:
- Strong Buy
- Strong Sell
Notice that the last two ratings are sell recommendations. This is important because while many services tell you when to buy, they’re not always clear when to sell. Zacks will help you at both ends of your investment transactions.
They also offer their Expected Surprise Prediction or ESP. It uses a weighted prediction of how likely a company will beat its consensus earnings estimate each quarter. Companies that routinely beat expectations have a history of outperforming the general market. This will give you a leg up on which companies are likely to have positive earnings surprises.
Zacks offers three subscription plans Premium, Investor Collection, and Ultimate.
- Daily updates of the Zacks Rank
- Full access to the Zacks #1 Rank List
- Equity Research Reports
- Premium screeners
- Focus List portfolio of 50 longer-term stock
- Monthly subscription fee: $249 per year that starts with 30-day access for $1
- Everything in the Premium Plan
- A bundle of Zacks’ top subscription services for long-term investors, including Zacks Premium
- Real-time buy and sell signals
- The exclusive Stocks Under $10
- Strategy and access to all premium research tools and reports
- Monthly subscription fee: $59 per month (or $495 per year) that starts with 30-day access for $1
- Everything in the Investor Collection
- Black Box Trader
- Healthcare, Blockchain, and Technology Innovations
- Inside Trader
- Zacks Top 10 stocks
- Short Sell List
- Stocks Under $10
- Value Investor
- Monthly subscription fee: $299 per month (or $2,995 per year) that starts with 30-day access for $1
Benzinga Pro is a premium stock research program offered by Benzinga, one of the most respected names in the investment community. It’s designed for active traders and provides plenty of tools to help you find investment opportunities. It does this by providing real-time investment news, helping you to identify both short-term trades and long-term investments.
Benzinga is one of the industry’s top investment news and information services and is read by 25 million people each month. Benzinga Pro offers three different plan levels, so you can choose the one that will work best for you.
The three plans are as follows, including the features offered by each, as well as the monthly subscription fee:
- NASDAQ basic delayed quotes
- Watch list Alerts
- Details Tool with key stock alerts
- News feed access
- Calendar suite
- Monthly subscription fee: $99, or $79 per month if you pay annually (after two-week free trial)
- All the features of the Basic Plan
- NASDAQ Basic Real-time Quotes
- Audio Squawk
- Newsdesk Chat
- Sentiment Indicators
- Signals (there is an additional fee for options activity)
- Monthly subscription fee: $177, or $117 per month if you pay annually (after two-week free trial)
Annual Options Mentorship:
- Designed specifically for options traders
- Includes all the features of the Basic and Essential Plans
- Trading mentorship and education from leading trader, Nic Chahaine
- Access to the Options Inner Circle Chat Room, led by Nic Chahaine
- Six high-conviction options trades per month, including both entry and stock information, as well as fundamental and technical analysis
- Access to exclusive webinar sessions for ongoing options education
- Regular Market Overview to match Nic Chahaine’s Winning Trading Strategy
- Monthly subscription fee: $177, or $117 per month if you pay annually (after two-week free trial)
Stock Rover is on the lower end of the price range for comprehensive stock research services. And though they offer premium plans, their free version will be helpful to many investors.
It includes comprehensive information on more than 8,500 North American stocks and 4,000 ETFs, and 40,000 mutual funds. It also offers portfolio management, brokerage integration, a portfolio dashboard with detailed portfolio performance information, powerful and flexible charting capabilities, and much more.
And if that’s not enough, Stock Rover offers no fewer than three premium plans:
- All the features of the free service
- More than 260 financial metrics
- Five years of detailed financial history
- Powerful investment comparison
- Customizable views and columns
- Flexible stock screening
- Comprehensive charting capabilities
- Portfolio management
- Brokerage integration
- Watch list tracking
- Daily analyst ratings and rankings
- Real-time text and email alerting
- The Stock Rover Investment Library
- Highly responsive support
- Monthly subscription fee: $7.99 per month, or $79.99 for one year, or $139.99 for two years
- All features of the Essentials Plan
- More than 350 metrics
- 10 years of detailed financial history
- Data export
- Powerful stock and ETF screening
- Ranked screening
- Over 100 charts of financial metrics
- Multiple metrics charting
- Advanced alerting
- Detailed portfolio analytics
- Future dividend income projections
- Correlation analysis
- Trade planning and rebalancing tools
- And much more
- Monthly subscription fee: $17.99 per month, or $179.99 for one year, or $319.99 for two years
- All features of the Premium Plan
- More than 650 metrics, including custom metrics
- Equation screening
- Historical data screening
- Over 180 ETF screening metrics
- Stock ratings
- Stock fair value and margin of safety
- Current and historical stock scoring
- Investor warnings
- Ratio charts
- Much higher data limits
- Top priority email support
- Monthly subscription fee: $27.99 per month, or $279.99 for one year, or $479.99 for two years
Seeking Alpha is a well-known investment news information source among advanced investors. Their articles are frequently published on other financial news sites. But if you want to get more detailed information, you can sign up for one of the three services they offer. The first (Basic) is free, so you have nothing to lose.
- Stock analysis email alerts
- Real-time news updates
- Investing newsletters
- Unlimited access to stock prices and charts
- Wall Street Ratings for every stock
- Limited access to in-depth news and analysis
- Monthly subscription fee: Free
- All the features of the Basic Plan
- Unlimited access to Premium content
- Seeking Alpha Author Ratings
- Seeking Alpha Author Performance
- Stock Quadrant Ratings
- Stock Dividend Grades
- Monthly subscription fee: $29.99 per month, but $19.99 if you pay annually (includes a 14-day free trial)
- All the features of the Premium Plan
- Top Ideas
- PRO content and newsletters
- Short ideas portal
- Idea screener/filter
- VIP Service
- No ads
- Monthly subscription fee: $299.99 per month, but $199.99 if you pay annually (includes a 14-day free trial)
Yahoo! Finance may be the go-to stock research service for new and intermediate investors. That’s not only because the service is offered free, but it’s also widely used by many millions of investors. They even include news and information from many of the other stock research services included on this list.
You can use the service free and get the benefit of real-time news and stock quotes, multiple linked brokers for portfolio tracking, interactive charts for performance monitoring, and unlimited custom portfolios and watch lists. It also offers numerous screeners, including equity, mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETF), futures, and index screeners.
But if you’re looking for something more, they offer their premium Lite and Essential plans:
- Real-time news and stock quotes
- Multiple linked brokers for portfolio tracking
- Interactive charts for performance monitoring
- Unlimited custom portfolios and watch lists
- Daily trade ideas based on your interests
- Fair value analysis for stocks
- Advanced portfolio performance analysis tools
- Community Insights
- Monthly educational webinars with Q&A
- Enhanced alerts
- Live chat support on desktop
- Monthly subscription fee: $25 per month, but $250 if you pay annually (includes a 14-day free trial)
- All features of the Lite Plan
- Research reports from Morningstar and Argus
- Enhanced charting with auto pattern recognition
- Unique company data
- Market Digest newsletter
- Historical financials and statistics with CSV export
- Monthly subscription fee: $35 per month, but $350 if you pay annually (includes a 14-day free trial)
Final Thoughts on the Best Stock Research Websites
No matter what level you’re at as an investor – new, intermediate, or advanced – you should consider signing up for a stock research website service. Any of the ones we’ve featured here will give you the information and tools to not only improve your investment performance but also make you a more confident investor.